Unseparated oil is feed to the bowl through the oil inlet and separated oil leaves the bowl through clean oil outlet.Separated sludge and water are collected inside the bowl periphery and are discharged at intervals through the sludge discharge port.
1. Oil inlet
4. Oil Outlet
5. Water outlet
10. Conditioning water inlet
15. Opening water inler
16. Closing and make-up water inlet
a. Upper paring chamber
A. Flow control disc
aa. Oil paring chamber
B. Small lock ring
C. Level ring
E. Top disc
F. Bowl hood
H. Large lock ring
I. Sludge space
ii. Sludge space
J. Bowl body
K. Sliding bowl bottom
L. Operating slide
N. Dosing ring
T. Upper paring disc
U. Oil paring disc
V. Inlet pipe
VV. Distributing cone
W. Bowl hood seal ring
X. Drain valve
Y1. Opening chamber
Y2. Closing chamber
Z. Control paring disc
ZZ. Spring support
The bowl body and bowl hood with seal ring are held together by the large lock ring. Housed in the bowl ate the distributor, the distributing cone and the disc stack into which the uncleaned oil flows from the inlet pipe,and where the separation takes place.Uppermost in the disc stack is the top disc.The top disc neck and the level ring form a paring chamber where the paring disc pumps the cleaned iol out of the bowl. The flow control disc is clamped to the bowl hood paring chamber. Separated water is drained off intermittently through the flow control disc and the upper paring disc.
In the lower part of the bowl is the sludge discharge mechanism,comprising the sliding bowl bottom ,the operating slide the dosing ring,springs and spring support. The sludge discharge mechanism is operated by the opening and closing via the control paring disc.The operating water is confined to the opening and closing chambers by the nozzles and the drain valve.
Sludge discharge function
When charge discharge occurs only sludge and water are discharged.It may however contain some emulsion oil.The sludge is discharged through a number of ports in the bowl wall.Between discharges these ports are covered by the sliding bowl bottom,which forms an internal bottom in the separation space of the bowl.The sliding bowl bottom is passed upwards against a seal ring by the hydraulic force of the operating water underneath.Discharge is effected by draining off those water .The sliding bowl bottom is then passed upwards by the lowers force above, thereby uncovering tor ports through which the sludge is discharged from the bowl.
Operating water to the sliding bowl bottom is supplied through a paring disc device under the bowl.The operating water is fed through two different pipes for closing and opening functions.Closing water is supplied during he sludge discharge sequence and ,at intervals during the separation sequence ,by the solenoid valve, During the separation sequence the supply of closing water is the replce possible leakage and is termed make up water.Closing eater is supplied from and operatiion water tank posinned above he separator.Opening water is supplied from the hogh pressure system.
Sludge discharge cycle
Sludge discharge cycle can be divided into four different stages
- Before sludge discharge
- Initiation of sludge discharge
- Sludge discharge
- After sludge discharge
- Space under sliding bowl is filled
- Sliding bowl bottom is pressed against seal ring as force f2 is greater than f1
- Operating slide keeps drain valves closed by means of the force f produced by coil spring
- Valve V% is closed
- Separation continues and water and solids move towards the periphery of the bowl and sludge is collected in the sludge space.
Initiation of sludge discharge
- Applies for oil with high,medium or low free water content.i.e. no displacement water is added.
- Solenoid valve MV16 continuous open
- Solenoid valve MV15 opened for approximately 3 seconds
- Opening chamber Y1 in dosing ring N is filled
- Water force f3 increases and exceeds spring force f
- Operating slide L moves downwards, thereby opening drain valve X
- Space below sliding bowl bottom K is drained and force f2 decreases
- Low flow-rate through nozzle M1
- Overflow to closing chamber Y2 in dosing ring N begins
- Space below the sliding bowl bottom K is drained and force f2 becomes less than f1
- Sliding bowl bottom K moves downwards and discharge of sludge and water takes place through port I in the bowl wall.Force f1 decreases rapidly.
- The closing chamber Y2 in closing ring N has become filled and force f4 equals f3 .Spring force f pushes the operating slide L upwards and closes the drain valve X.
- The chambers in closing ring N and continuously drained through nozzle M1 and M2
- The s[ace below the sliding bowl bottom K is filled from the operating water tank via the open solenoid valve MV16.Force f2 increase
- Force f2 now exceeds the decreased f1,thus forcing he sliding bowl bottom upwards into the closed position.
- Sliding bowl bottom K is forced into closed position
- The space below the sliding bowl bottom is now filled and force f2 is restored completely
- Solenoid valve MV16 closed
- The chamber is closing ring N are drained through nozzles M1 and M2
- The separating space above the sliding bowl bottom K is filled.Force f1 increases to normal valve
- New reference valve is determined and stored
- If conditioning water must be added this will be performed after the reference value has been stored
- Solenoid valve MV16 closed after and addition of conditioning water The value resumes intermittent opening and closing.